Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tech Task #3

For this task i decided to post about a blog i read on Betchablog. The post I read was called Human Tetris The video he choose to embed on his blog is a really cool.
Here is the video.

On this post, he discusses that a student of his, with a learning disabilty, finished her work early and asked if she could play tetris online. He discovered that she was amazing at the game. This is from a girl who really struggles with many other intellectual tasks. So he decides to call her main teacher and discuss the new discovery with her. Her regular teacher had never really tried Tetris, so she was not very good at it.

It is important to note that teachers are not perfect or good at everything. If teachers were more hopeless at things, our classroom environment may be a little different. He concludes his post with this, "Often in schools we judge our students performance based on the things that we deem to be important to us, rather than what is important to them. I’m not suggesting that everything should always be a game, but I suspect we should always be actively looking for opportunities to let our kids be “smarter” than us."

As a future teacher, I have realized that it is important to focus on my students strengths rather then my own. Adapting my lesson plans and assignments around my students would allow them to be more successful in their day to day lives. As a teacher, I am not there to show my students my strengths, but I am there to expand their strengths and encourage them to succeed.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, great reflection about how often students strengths are overlooked because they are not viewed as educational strengths or maybe just overlooked because the teacher is not strong in that area.

    It really made me think about how important it is for us as teachers to sometimes step outside of our comfort zones and let our students teach us. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete