Monday, April 6, 2009

The Experience of ECMP 355


As the semester comes close to an end, I would like to reflect on my experiences within ECMP 355. In the beginning, I thought this class would be very easy to tell you the truth. I thought, "o this class will be a breeze..because it is online and all i have to do is blog." Well I OBVIOUSLY thought wrong!!!

As the class took off on a good start, I began to recognize that technology is not what I thought it was. Technology has come a loooonnngggg ways. As a teacher I need to acknowledge the fact that our world changes everyday, and so does the classroom environment. Using technology in the classroom will advance our schools to a whole new level. Personally, before this class I was considered "techologically stupid." I knew NOTHING!! I had no idea that Google good have so many amazing gagets that I now use on a day-to-day basis. Things such as google reader, google docs, google alerts, gmail, etc... I couldn't even imagine my life without these simple little gagets. As a teacher, I need to learn as many little short cuts as possible. Our world has hit the technology era, where our list of new "toys" become endless/

Once I learnt about Google, we moved onto the fascinating life of EDtalks. These videos are a great resource for me as a teacher that I can use. Not only does it supply me with neat little teacher facts, but there are videos that also teach me about the fun stuff TOO!!! One important thing that I have learnt in this class is that teaching is meant to be fun, and technology does not have to be SO scary. The fear of technology is in our heads! If we make an opinion on an experience without personally experiencing it ourselves, we lose out on the true experience!

Another neat thing I learnt in this class, is a thing called a Podcast. I had heard this term many times in my life before this class, but never really thought about or wondered what it actually was. Podcasts are fascinating really! Exploring itunes store allowed me to see the wide variety of podcasts created. Educational things like grammar tips, Interesting things like the Best of Youtube, and fun things like The Daily 10's Hollywood Rap. Having podcasts available at your finger tips are a create way to incorporate technology into your day. Also, even as a student, reading certain novels for certain classes are a drag, but now, there podcasts of the novels we are reading to make our lives a little easier. If you listened to that podcast of your novel, every student would be more productive in the learning process. Personally, reading to me makes me tired. Reading is the one thing I always put to the very end because it is my least favourite thing to do.

This brings me to my final thoughts. The one thing that got my thinking from this class is how far will technology continue to develop? Will this negatively effect our classrooms and be a disadvantage to our students' learning? How do we make sure that technology doesn't replace the basic fundamentals of any young individuals development (things like reading, and writing)?

Another thing I have realized this term, is that the profession of a teacher has changed drastically over the years. I mean before it was the basic, teacher in front of the room all day reading from the text while students are taking notes from the chalkboard. Now, the classroom environment is encouraged to adapt to the technological world and use technology within the learning environment. This scares me greatly!!

The only negative thing I can think of about this class is that it has me questioning whether or not teaching is the right thing for me, if this is what it is going to become?! Overall, I believe this has been a great experience for me. I have learned new things about technology and how they positively have become a part of my life. I blogged about twice a week all semester, if not more sometimes, in hopes of sharing my thoughts. Thanks to everyone for making this experience so wonderful!!! Thanks Dean for all of your help this semester, it was all extremely appreciated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment