Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Bitter Winter

Originally i am from Ontario, and i lived their for the majority of my childhood. Growing up in Ontario was a great experience, but for me, when i moved to Regina i couldn't believe that the winters could ever get so bitter cold! Maybe as a child i couldn't really appreciate a warm car in the morning, or a shovelled drive way when leaving my house for school, etc. I think that as i grew up and moved to Regina, i learnt to appreciate even the smallest things, especially during the winter. But now that i have my license and more responsibilities, i can't help but get depressed when i think about scraping off my car windows in the morning, or helping my parents shovel before school. Does anyone just feel sad in the mornings just by looking outside or is it just me???

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,

    I've always lived in Saskatchewan so I guess I'm a bit used to the bitter weather.

    That being said, when I first got my license I felt exactly the same way you described. I'd be so excited that I got to drive myself to school, but then sad when I realized that I had to start my car, scrap the windows, and wait in the house for my car to warm-up before I could leave. When that was done, driving wasn't even that fun because the roads were often covered with snow that the snowplows hadn't got to yet.

    Nowadays, I don't even bother to look outside before I go outside to start my car; I know it's cold. Also, this way I'm surprised if it's a somewhat nice day too haha! As for shoveling; I have to park on the street outside my house so I'm exempt from the shoveling deal.

    How long have you lived in our wonderful province of Saskatachewan? Maybe you will adopt a neutral attitude eventually too :) Talk to you later,

    -Robin Howell
    http://metro-racer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This winter has had some extremely chilling temperatures, that is for sure! I grew up on an acreage in Saskatchewan all my life so transportation in the cold winter mornings always made for some excitement. When I was younger we had to bundle up and walk down our LONG driveway and wait to catch the school bus. As I got into middle school my mom would often drop my sister and I off on her way to work so we wouldn’t have to wait in the cold. Then after my sister (two years older than me) got her license came the days of being late for class in the winter. Waking up and trying to get motivated to leave the house when it’s still dark outside is hard for most people, especially when its -35. I am glad to see the sun today! See you in class Nicole.

    Amber Blow
    Amber.blow8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete